Find out about facilitated SEND visits, led by one of our Learning Session Leaders.
Explore Your Way
Our SEND programme is designed to provide a friendly and inclusive environment for groups to explore the Museum, Roald’s stories and his life at their own pace. These relaxed visits, when the Museum will be open exclusively to SEND groups, aim to encourage collaborative working through storytelling, object handling and trails around the galleries.
During a visit you will:
- Explore the galleries using explorer kits and/or an animal-themed sensory backpack and trails
- Take part in an interactive Sensory Storytelling or Object Exploration session
- Have a Learning Session Leader in the Museum spaces to help you facilitate your visit
Session choice overview
Sensory Storytelling session
Your Learning Session Leader will bring Roald Dahl’s stories to life in this 30 minute session with visual prompts, objects, sound, movement and smells.
Object Exploration session
Your Learning Session Leader will introduce you to the objects Roald Dahl collected and kept. Your group will then explore sensory bags to create their very own collection of special things.
You can choose from one of the following interactive sessions for your group:
30 minute Sensory Storytelling sessions
Be part of the adventure as we bring Roald’s stories to life in our Sensory Storytelling sessions. We offer a choice of two storytelling sessions, each 30 minutes long. Both sessions are led by our wonderful Learning Session Leaders and use visual prompts, objects, sound, movement and smells. The Learning Session Leader will encourage your group to take part in the storytelling by using the sensory elements as the action unfolds.
During a session your group will:
- explore different textural materials that have links to the story
- use props such as bowls, scarfs, bottles and saucepans to imagine characters or events
- make sounds using their voices and /or simple instruments such as shakers to highlight key moments
- explore different smells using scented mini bean bags
- use their bodies to make movements to help describe the action
- have fun!
You can choose from either The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me or George’s Marvellous Medicine.
30 minute Object Exploration sessions
Roald Dahl was inspired by the world around him. He collected objects from his everyday life and his world adventures to create his stories. Learn who Roald Dahl was and discover what special things he kept in his Writing Hut and why. Using our sensory themed bags, your group will work together or individually to create their very own collection of special things. The theme options are Great Missenden, Africa and Flying. Groups can explore one or more of these bags during the session.
During the session your group will:
- explore different textural items that have links to Roald Dahl and his writing
- use their imagination to think how things might feel, for example flying
- work as a group to decide which items are their favourite and create their own collection wall
- think of a special item from their life that they would include in the collection of special things
"It was truly a
and well thought out session that met all needs of pupils. Thank you so much"
How much does it cost for a SEND school visit?
The cost of your visit will be £120. Group sizes are capped at 12 students.
Included in this cost is:
- 1 x 30min facilitated Sensory Storytelling or Object Exploration session
- admission to the Museum for up to 12 students
- one free adult place for every 6 children that you bring
- all 1-to-1 support free of charge
- a Learning Session Leader in the Museum spaces to help you facilitate your visit
- free use of explorer kits and/or an animal-themed sensory backpack and trails
Additional adults are charged at £9.95 each. We require you to bring at least one adult for every 8 children.
We will also provide you with:
- a Sparky Schools Information Pack to help you prepare for the day
- Terrific Teacher Golden Tickets to gain free entry to the Museum to carry out your risk assessment in advance of your trip
- all learning resources and materials needed throughout your visit
- a dedicated lunch area for your school as well as an area to leave coats/bags during the day
- a self-led Village Trail designed specifically for schools. You can lead this walk to discover inspiration for Roald Dahl’s stories in the local area
How to book
During the 2023/24 academic year our SEND sessions will be available on the following dates:
- Wednesday 7 February – fully booked
- Monday 25 March – fully booked
- Tuesday 30 April
- Tuesday 14 May – fully booked
- Monday 24 June
- Tuesday 2 July
Around with words
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest updates!